1) Partially fill the sink with water to cushion the impact if the denture is dropped.
2) A liquid dish washing detergent can be used with a denture brush to clean the inside and outside of the denture.
- Toothpastes made for natural teeth are too abrasive for the denture materials and should be avoided.
- However, after healing has occurred, a soft toothbrush with toothpaste is helpful for cleaning the gums where the denture rests.
3) Your tongue should be cleansed as well as it harbors many of the germs that cause bad breath.
4) It is best to take your denture out in the evening. Soak your denture in warm water not hot. It is best to occasionally use denture cleaner to kill bacteria. Taking your dentures out at night allows the gums to relax and maintain optimal health.
- Discuss with your denturist additional ways to keep your oral tissues healthy based on your individual situation.